Dec 18, 2009

cold hands warm heart

Two days ago when I woke up to another snow-covered wonderland and the realization that christmas was just over a week away, all I wanted to do was stay curled up in bed, safe from the cold! I hardly would have thought that after I walked out the door in a couple hours it would be a day and a half as well as several frostbites later before I would walk back in again.

First of all, a friend and I were blessed to spend the afternoon with another friend who flew in from Ohio (I hear you guys grow a lot of corn) eating Raffaelos and catching up on college life, broken hearts and new friends. The next day, after a spontaneous sleepover (with little sleep), and a wonderful afternoon at my new internsip, I found myself alone in the cold for over an hour, waiting hopefully for a bus that would never come. Stranded. The realization made me feel lonely, but there are always options, and you are never truly alone. In the end, after a steaming mug of malt wine and warmth from the fires of the christmas market, I was invited in by a friend and his family whilst waiting for a ride; warm toes, warm heart: check.





In the penetrating cold of the season, I find so much warmth in the hearts of others. That's the reason that such a frozen day as yesterday can be such a warm memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment