Dec 10, 2009

a present at christmas



My sister's favorite story, read by Meryl Streep? I'm so excited about this particular christmas present, but put out because I won't be able to see the reaction it gets!
***

This gift reminds me that we've made it again to the beginning of advent- the time of anticipation and gift-hunting. For me its the time where I imagine what people are doing back in Canada, how everyone is throwing parties with their respective themes or quirks; how houses and apartments proudly boast twinkle lights and mistletoe; how everyone draws closer to each other to avoid the silence and loneliness that settles in with the cold and the exam season. My mind is vivid with these images, and I find myself clinging to the things that make me feel closer to home- and slowly I become more disconnected with where I live.

Germany in december is a marvelous thing! People are brought closer together, meeting and greeting at christmas markets, festivals, and parties of all sorts. Here, community thrives in the traditions of a season that hasn't been commercialized. I defy anyone who claims they haven't felt holiday spirit in the lavishly decorated streets of a fairy-tale town, or in the shared laughter of strangers over malt wine. There are so many things that can make christmas here magical, but what this country lacks are the people I learned to love. Well, they are everywhere, dispersed, and so the image in my mind of us all together somewhere is just another christmas dream. . .

Honestly I had no intention of going on a rant tonight. It is funny how easily the things you keep inside can come out when they get the opportunity.

2 comments:

  1. The reaction was precisely as wonderful as you could possibly imagine. Glee, love, appreciation and excitement only graze the surface.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest darlingest cousin, thank you for making my day! (and its only 9.30, how lucky)

    <3

    ReplyDelete